There’s no doubt about it, our daily lifestyle has significantly changed. Most importantly, these changes apply to our eating habits and how we take care of our health. Now more than ever we need to practice mindful eating, to not only help us eat healthier but to keep our mental health in good form.
Are you Stressed? Sad? Bored? Hungry?
After you have taken this moment to reflect, then you can choose if you want to eat, what you want to eat, and how you want to eat.
- Sit down.
Have a seat. You’re less likely to appreciate your food when you are multi-tasking.
- Turn off the TV (and everything else with a screen).
Distractions make us less aware of what and how much we are eating.
- Serve out your portions.
Resist eating straight from the bag or the box.
- Pick the smaller plate.
Smaller plates will help you with your portion control.
- Give gratitude.
Take a moment to acknowledge the hard work that went into providing your meal - farmers, factory workers or even your family at the table.
- Just keep chewing.
Enjoying the flavours will give your stomach time to tell your brain it’s full.
- Resign from the Clean Plate Club.
Consider saving leftovers for tomorrow.
- Pantry staples can be just as healthy as fresh produce:
- Whole grain pasta/brown rice provides a good amount of fibre.
- Tinned tomatoes are loaded with antioxidants and add great flavour.
- Legumes are packed with protein and are perfect for bulking up soups/stews.
- Tinned fish is high in omega fatty acids which keeps your body and mind healthy.
- Dried fruit and nuts help sustain energy and are more nutritious than sweets/biscuits.
Defy’s wide range of small appliances are the perfect tools to recreating your favourite healthy snacks such as smoothies, snack bars and so much more. Take mindful eating to the next level and use these to whip up some yummy, nutritious snacks.